These are all Apple Watches compatible with the update watchos 10, which will also require iOS 17 on your iPhone
Apple’s operating system for smart watches comes out of the p review and is official for everyone
Apple’s 2023 keynote has brought us many new features, both about devices and new features on the software side . Added to the popular arrivals of the iPhone 15 family and the new Apple Watch is the deployment of new versions of iOS and watchOS , previously seen at the Cupertino company’s developer event
It is the moment of truth for watchOS 10 on the firm’s smart watches, the Apple Watch. We already knew the new features of the tenth version of the system, but we still had to know the date on which we can install it on our devices. Below, we tell you when and how you can update your Apple Watch to watchOS 10 .
When and how we can download watchOS 10
As is tradition, Apple presented the news of the new version of watchOS in June, but its usual roadmap takes us to September to see it in action. And so it has been again: it is confirmed that the update to watchOS 10 will be available worldwide in a few days, specifically, on September 18
When Apple releases watchOS 10, you will see separate notices on both the iPhone and the Apple Watch. Of course, before installing the new version, it is advisable to prepare the iPhone with the most recent version of iOS. In addition, it is advisable to connect the Apple Watch to the charger (to update you need at least 50% battery).
To update from iPhone , do the following:
- Connect your iPhone to a WiFi network and place it next to your Apple Watch to make sure they’re in range.
- On your iPhone, open the ‘Watch’ app and tap the ‘My Watch’ tab .
- Go to ‘General’ > ‘Software Update’ . You will see the update to watchOS 10 available.
- Download the update and enter the iPhone code and Apple Watch code if prompted.
- Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch .
If you choose the direct method , which involves using the Apple Watch itself, the process differs somewhat:
- Connect the watch to the charger and a WiFi network.
- On the watch, open the ‘Settings’ app
- Press ‘General’ > ‘Software Update’ .
- Next, press ‘Install’ and follow the instructions that you will see on the screen.
Whatever method you used to update your Apple Watch, you should consider that the update can take between several minutes and an hour . Therefore, it is best to leave the Apple Watch on the charger while the update is completed, and very important: do not restart it. Once the update is complete, your Apple Watch will restart automatically.
Which Apple Watch models are compatible with watchOS 10
Apart from the new watches presented during the keynote , the Apple Watch Series 9, previous generations will also be updated. This is the complete list of models that are compatible with watchOS 10 :
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple WatchSeries 5
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch Series 8
- Apple Watch Series 9
- Apple Watch Ultra
That is, all models starting with Apple Watch Series 4, as long as they are paired with an iPhone XS or later models, with iOS 17 installed. However, some features may not be available in all regions, all languages, or on all devices.
WatchOS 10 highlights and features
As with the iPhone operating system, iOS 17, the new version of the system for Apple watches does not bring us a very significant change, however, this does not mean that it does not provide new and useful functions such as the following:
- Renewed interface : widgets gain more prominence and new access to the Control Center.
- Application redesign : some apps such as Weather, Home, Maps, Stocks, Messages or World Clock have been updated in relation to the aesthetic aspect.
- NameDrop: will allow us to share contact information by bringing an Apple Watch closer to an iPhone.
- iPhone Offline Maps: With a paired iPhone, you can use maps even when you don’t have a WiFi or cellular data connection.
- FaceTime : Starting playback of a FaceTime video message directly on the Apple Watch will be possible, as well as listening to the audio of group calls.
- Medication App: it will show us reminders on the watch if we do not record the corresponding medication intake 30 minutes after the scheduled time.